April 17, 2019
Employee Spotlight: Susanne Patterson – Consultant
Welcome to another edition of our Employee Spotlight blog series. In today’s interview, we are shining a spotlight on Susanne Patterson, one of our recent Bridgie (peer nominated) award winners. As one of our many boomerang employees, Susanne is very familiar with our clients and the consultant experience. I sat down with her to discover why she chose consulting, her favorite clients and more.
GETTING TO KNOW…
Name: Susanne Patterson
Department/Practice Area: Financial Consulting
Time at Bridgepoint: 2 years (plus 8 months back in 2014 – yes, I am a boomerang employee)
Hometown: Whitehouse, TX
- How did you decide upon a career in consulting? And what attracted you to Bridgepoint? Consulting is something I have always been drawn to because of its many opportunities – I especially enjoy getting to work with different companies and great people. I also love how we’re able to work with businesses around Austin in a meaningful way to solve challenges within their organization. What specifically attracted me to Bridgepoint was the people. We do a great job of hiring stellar consultants that are a joy to work with. Not only is this something I have personally experienced, but it is also something I hear from our clients. It’s truly an honor to be a part of such a great team.
- What’s your favorite aspect of your job? I love connecting the dots to solve problems. For example, I enjoy helping businesses who are not familiar with accounting, put accounting operations into practice. It’s fun to help them solve the puzzle.
- What is the toughest part of your job? When taking on a new client, it can be challenging to learn the “ins and outs” and “who’s who” around the organization. With that said, once you do, it’s a great experience.
- What is the most memorable client engagement you’ve had so far? My favorite client thus far was a CPG company downtown. I was originally only supposed to be on assignment for six weeks, but ended up staying 14 months. I was able to build relationships with everyone because of the time I spent there. The best part, I was invited back.
- What does winning a Bridgie Award mean to you? It is a wonderful reminder that what we do and how we do it each day really does matter. We’re able to make a big difference for our colleagues and clients which means so much. I am honored!
- What advice do you have for new consultants who want to grow their career at Bridgepoint? Always think a step ahead, and be ready to ask the next question. Be curious! There is so much more to learn beyond what you are told at the beginning of your engagement.
- What gets you excited about going to work each day? I love the social interactions and meaningful relationships I can build with colleagues and clients. That is what gets me excited each day!
- What do you like to do in your spare time? I love eating at all of the awesome restaurants in Austin. You can also find me hiking with my lab, listening to live music and spending time with my two college-age kids.
- What’s the craziest thing on your bucket list? I don’t have anything too crazy on my list. However, I wouldn’t mind retiring in the south of France, or on the Amalfi Coast. It doesn’t hurt to dream, but in the meantime I’ll settle for a few long vacations.
- What is one fun fact that would surprise people? I’m obsessed with all aspects of the residential real estate market, and love working on home remodel projects.
Check out additional Bridgepoint Employee Spotlight stories here.
LOOKING FOR A REWARDING CAREER? ARE YOU A CONSULTING ROCKSTAR? BRIDGEPOINT COULD BE THE PLACE FOR YOU. EXPLORE OUR CAREER PORTAL!
Employee Spotlight: Nora Foster, Sr. Manager of Financial Operations
Employee Spotlight: Kent Brorman – NetSuite Sr. Practice Manager